Friday, September 16, 2011

Marinated Grilled Salmon


Hello friends! Today we are taking our first venture down one of my favorite routes - grilled fish. I love fish and shell fish, and I really only like fish prepared two ways - fried and grilled. Fried is great for a cheap fish like whiting or flounder, but for something like Salmon, to me the only way is to grill it up.

Now I have made grilled salmon many, many times, but you are in for a special treat today, because this grilled salmon I prepared last week was the best salmon I've ever made. If you haven't been able to guess by my rubs and BBQ sauce, I'm very high on the accessory flavors which accommodate my favorite foods. I have prepared grilled salmon naked, with homemade marinade, with a glaze, and just grilled with some lemon juice and rosemary. All of these are good solutions, but let me tell you, I have found my new way to make grilled salmon.

We are in the process of moving, so we have been trying to get rid of things in the cabinet and cold storage, and this was the perfect opportunity to try out some World Harbours Mojo Sauce that I had purchased a couple of months ago. I bought it specifically with fish in mind, but we had never gotten around to using it.

The preparation was very simple - I had four, four ounce filets of wild caught salmon that I put into a deep and wide dish for marinating. I then poured the Mojo Sauce into the container, which was the perfect amount as all of the filets were perfectly covered. My original intention was to let it marinate for about 2-3 hours, but the weather got bad, so I had to wait until the next day.

Salmon on the grill... always good.
The next day, after the filets had been marinating for approximately 28 hours, I pulled them out. I fired up the grill, and preheated it for the highest setting. Once the grill was nice and toasty I put the filets on. I immediately noticed that the acid in the marinade had already begun to break down the salmon a little, which made it slightly flimsier than normal. Luckily I got the salmon on the grill in tact and let it cook for about 5-7 minutes. I then flipped the salmon, and let it cook for another 3 minutes or so. The salmon was tender, juicy, not overdone, but completely cooked throughout.

We paired it with a simple rice dish I had prepared which contained corn, roasted red pepper, garlic, and tomato. Unfortunately we were out of lemon juice, and not in a position to buy more with the impending move, the rice was missing that punch to really pair it with the salmon.
Just before flipping, don't let it break apart!

Anyway, we plated it up, and it was absolutely delicious. The marinade gave the fish a very complex flavor. It had a strong citrus profile with some sweet tacked in there, but not so much as to make it too sweet or fruity. The meal was delicious, and we were extremely surprised and pleased with how everything came out. The only thing I would change is the marinade time, which I will try to keep at around 12 hours next time, just to make sure it doesn't prematurely break down the fish.

This is a great recipe, and for you everymen out there, it is SUPER easy to do. Just make sure to start marinating in advance, and with 10-15 minutes of grilling time you will have the main course for your meal. I really recommend pairing it with rice and fresh veggies, but you could put this salmon with almost anything and it would still be amazing! Best of all, the marinade can be found at almost any grocery store.



Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment